Hateful, Party of One

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Philly review

So this past weekend I took a well deserved whirlwind trip to Philly. I went once last year and had a decent time, but this year I had a fantastic time!!!!!! I completely want to go back and the possibility of living there after I graduate has jumped up on the future cities list to number 2 on the East Coast.

So I take the Chinatown bus up to Philly on Saturday and successfully navigate a new way of transportation. The ride up there was fine. I read the entire time for fun!!!! Take that doctoral program. My book was about gay relationships not financial aid policy or retention.

DP met me at the bus station and we dropped my stuff at the hotel. Then we had lunch/dinner at Rittenhouse Square (apparently the biggest and juiciest burgers in the country- the audacity of some claims ;) Then we walked around the city and saw the sites (like Camden, NJ, Old City, etc). I also stopped by the Irish Pub where I hustled Triple X in darts and took some pics of it to remind him how poorly he did at it.

Then that night we went out on Philly in the gayborhood. Started off at Tavern on Carmac.. not bad. IT was a piano bar on the bottom section, which was a nice change except we didn't know any of the songs (I think i prefer showtunes at JR's) And the bartender with the tamborine was kind of annoying as well. Upstairs was a little dance floor that had some cute nerdy guys there. Why doesn't dc have a nerd bar? that would be hot.

Next stop was 12th air command, a run down version of Halo. Everyone was really friendly though. We met Kevin there, a music teacher at a local school who is also a member of the gay chorus. He says he'll be down in february so we all might hang out again. WHen I went to the bathroom this one boy was totally checking me out as well... ahhhh bathroom romances... nothing more romantic. Then this drunk boy walked by and told me I was really cute--- alcohol is a truth serum right?

Next stop: Bump- was ok... nothing memorable to report, excpet it was very Orange.

Next stop: woody's- their version of Cobalt. with a dance floor and all that. Danced the night away. And this old grandma looking woman (think the old woman on the movie 54) was dancing the night away... It was great. I liked the mixed crowds of gays and straights men and women.

Next stop: Pure- This is their after hours bar. Phillys alcohol laws are interesting. After two you can't buy alcohol but some bars open til like 3 in which members are permitted to buy drinks. So other people have to get a member to order a drink and touch your money on its way to the bartender. Interesting experience.

Later- location undisclosed: I mayhaps broke my vow. And it mayhaps have been with two guys at once, then I went with one of them later. Who was real nice and got his number and all that. A few other shenanigans but none worth reporting in the print.

All in all I loved philly, the guys loved me, and there was no dc attitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home