Hateful, Party of One

Thursday, September 14, 2006

meeting men

So I've been thinking lately about how to meet men. Mainly through friends. I finally actually have a friend who wants me to meet someone for a possible date, which is great because I've always tried to meet people through other people I know, rather than online or at the bars (at least for dating). It seems as if, at least to me, that having a personal recommendation from your friend might actually mean compatability as they know both of you. It also means that the person presumably is not a psycho and it also means that your friend cares enough about you to want to see you dating and in a relationship and all the social contrivances that accompany that.

In thinking about the one friend who is now doing that for me, I'm also thinking about all the friends who don't do that. These are the friends who say things similar to "you should date more." And if I ask them if they know anyone, they're like "we don't know any other gay people." This is Washington, DC, a thriving metropolis with a very liberal, and open-minded scene. You can't go 100 feet in any direction without running into a gay person. How is it humanly possible that none of these people know other gay people besides me? Especially since most of the ones I ask are gay themselves. So it comes down to this for me, which I think is somewhat logical. Either 1. they enjoy me being single because I give them more attention, or I tell them funny stories about my horribly bad dates, or the crazy guys I meet. or 2. (and this is what I start to believe more and more) they are embarrassed by me to some extent and don't want to introduce me to their other gay friends because they see me as some freak they can't shove on their actual friends. Not that this necessarily bothers me, but if they think that they should just tell me that, rather than lying (so poorly) by telling me they don't know gay people. At least I'd know where I stood.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:13 PM , Blogger Mel said...

    I've had the same problem - about thinking of ways to meet men (albeit straight in my case). As you said, it would SEEM friends would be the best bet. After all, your date would come with a reference, right? I subscribe to your theory though that our friends like to keep us single - if not for the funny stories, for the fear that they'd "lose us" if we found a mate.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home