Hateful, Party of One

Monday, October 30, 2006

Speed Dating

The long awaited speed dating post....

So a while back a friend sent me a link to a speed dating for gay men thing happening in DC. At the time, I was crushing on a guy (Jeff L.) so i didn't think I'd want to go. Then after I realized that he didn't really want to date me (and nowadays I think he doesn't really want to be friends either), I decided it would be fun to try speed dating. So I made two friends go with me who I know from work. I actually had a good time, which for some reason I didn't think I would, plus a little bout of crazy that I had.

Eleven people (including myself) showed up to this thing, which limited my chances a bit, being that if you subtract myself, subtract my two friends, and subtract the one other guy I happened to know, i had seven possibilities. The dates lasted about 4 minutes each.

Date One: an older doctor from Baltimore. I think he was around 40, but I don't recall entirely. He was soooo difficult to talk to. It was like pulling teeth. There was a lot of stifled conversation that I was thinking "look, if you want us to talk at all, you need to give me enough info for a follow-up question" Afterwards, I decided this was a definate no for me.

Date Two: Everett. A Texan. We immediately started talking about living in the South and his accent, which I picked out within three words. He was actually the only one I felt some type of connection with at this thing.

Date Three: teacher guy from Alexandria. Nice enough guy, but he was a little difficult to talk to, but not as bad as the dr. This was the only other person I said no to.

Date Four: George- a guy from Cyprus who was incredibly well educated. Nice enough guy, but there was a little bit of a language barrier. Whenever there is a language barrier my slightly dry and sarcastic sense of humor never goes over well, which I find to be incredibly disappointing.

Date Five: Jason- a young guy who started off the conversation with he was hung over all day from drinking last night. Nice enough guy, but was a little too partier I think.

Date Six: Jerry- a 41 y/o actor guy who said this was his third speed dating event. He was actually a really nice guy. I could hang out with him, but probably not date him

Date Seven: Philipino young guy. He was like 25 y/o, just graduated from college and a bit too young acting for me.

So I left there thinking at most I really made one possible connection, although most of the guys I'd be friends with and have no problem. So we go online and put who we would meet and who we wouldn't meet. THen it tells us who said yes to us (not just the matches). So I got two people, Jerry- the actor and the teacher guy (who I didn't say yes to). Through my friends that went, we know everyone except Everett signed on and did this process (we're just not sure about him b/c he may not have listed any of us on his yes card). Then my friends got so many more yesses than me that I completely got upset and jealous and started acting crazy. Even though I knew I didn't have the interest in these guys, I just wanted to be wanted and it hurt knowing that everyone else did better than I did. But I'd still probably do speed dating again. It was a good time.

On a separate boy note: I have finally proven my gaydar right on a boy. THis guy who i was seriously crushing on like 2 years ago, I finally got confirmation today that he is gay. All those people who said i was wrong were just hatin'. Also later this week I am going to California for the ASHE COnference, so there may not be many posts this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home