Hateful, Party of One

Sunday, August 27, 2006

A three alarmer

Last Thursday at 10:30, while I was chatting online with a friend and organizing some music on Itunes, the fire alarm goes off. Since I figured it was just an alarm, which happens from time to time in my building. I grab my wallet, cell phone, and keys and track downstairs in my pjs. As usual, a fire truck pulls up and about three firemen get out in t-shirts and regular pants, go into the building and then come out and we can all go inside again....right? no. This time they come out of the building and begin to put on their gear. Uh oh, I said to Bernie and Sara, that can't be good. Then shortly afterwards, a second and third fire truck comes. Slightly worried, I kept looking for some smoke. None. And yet more firetrucks came. I believe at the end of it all, there were 5 or 6.

And then while this was all going on, people remained in the building, looking out at the mass of people. Now I can understand staying put when its just the one firetruck because its most likely a drill, but when five trucks come and park in front of the building, why would you not leave at that point???? Seriously... I was like fine let them jump when the building catches on fire, i ain't gonna catch someone because they were stupid.

Then about an hour later, they tell everyone but the 5th floor (MY FLOOR) that they can go back in. So now I'm panicking thinking that everything I own has been destroyed and I without renters insurance am pretty screwed. But they eventually tell us that there is no damage but we can't go back home for another 2 hours, while the arson squad does there thing. They detemind it was probably a cigarette thrown in with the garbage in our trash room. But the whole floor smells like smoke now :(

But I do now have renters insurance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home