Hateful, Party of One

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Food Glorious Food



So in my family, food has always been a weapon of war. While we aren't the type of family to send someone to bed without dinner, but we were the type of family that wouldn't buy food for someone for a week if they pissed off the shopper. And when the next week came, if they were still mad, no food that week also. But now that I'm on my own and can buy my own food, the food wars have taken a different tone. Now it is about the Inquistion. There are two meals that my father always has made when I come to town, more for him than me. One is my grandmother's spaghetti and the other is chop suey (which I've never eaten before so I don't know why he always tries to push that on me). And clearly by those two choices you can clearly see my German/Polish heritage. So we had the spaghetti dinner last night and instantly every question became an accusation. "Scott, it tastes better with this salt" (no, thanks). "Scott, put pamesian cheese on it" (no, thanks). "scott, why dont you like cheese." (I just don't want it on my spaghetti). "Scott, put this salt on it." (Jesus Christ, does it have to be this difficult to eat dinner). So I sucked down the food as quickly as possible, but still... why is there such drama in the ridiculous stuff of my family. Like the high guilt trip to use the pool. If they get to asking me ten times why I won't use the pool, I'm going to say "I don't use the pool b/c you dont have naked men who are willing for cheap and sleazy sex like at the bathhouse."