Hateful, Party of One

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Taking Chances


I've never necessarily held the most conventional traits as the most important. I'm like the only one I know that believes ambition to be a needed trait in Mr. Right. Well I thought of another one while watching The Office tonight, the need to take chances. Granted I love The Office, one of the funniest shows on TV, but I realized there is a sad aspect to the characters tonight. None of them take chances and unless they do, they are doomed to being marginal individuals who will never have big success or big love or big life. My favorite commerical right now has a woman who pays for the guy in the car behind hers dry cleaning and then gives the dry cleaning lady her phone number to give to the guy. What I love is she took a chance. And it leaves us with the impression that the date, get married, or at least have a lot of great sex for a month or two.

And I realized that this is something I do tend to follow. I may fall flat on my face a million times, but I am willing to give something a chance no matter how its deemed for failure. I moved to DC not knowing anyone here after I graduated. I have crush after crush on unobtainable men and still have no qualms giving the next one my phone number, and I try for jobs that I may not be 100% ready for. It doesn't always work out, but one day it might and it could be incredible.

So for all those readers, go ahead and take a chance... you never know where the dry cleaning might lead to.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home