Hateful, Party of One

Thursday, January 18, 2007

this was supposed to be easy

Well its not entirely common knowledge, but I applied for a job recently at an institution in Philadelphia. I interviewed for it this past week and they called the next day to offer me the job. So what I thought was supposed to be an easy decision, has turned into one of the most frustrating decisions of my life. Here are my thought processes.

-School: I know that the best interest long term thing is for me to finish my doctorate. That will help me move up more than any position I hold. Will I be able to complete my program if I am away from campus and my support networks?

-New location: While I don't have a problem with moving and starting over (I did move from ORlando to DC with only one person I knew). I am not sure I want to start over with no acquaintances right now.

-Money: While they went out of their range to offer my a salary, it was not enough to break even with what I'd be paying for my school out of pocket.

- Reputation: While everyone will have a good opinion of me when I leave, its just now getting to the point where people know who I am. That's not an easy thing to throw away. I have a growing reputation around my institution as well as through my association.

- Position: While yes, this would be a good move professionally, it won't be the last position I'm offered.

- Drama: If i am having this much trouble deciding, isn't it telling me something about not being ready to leave?

Those are most of the thoughts I'm having. Yes, i know they are phrased as an I dont want to go. Yesterday i was at a 90% chance I'd leave and today i'm at a 40% chance I wont. I have til Monday to decide. What are your thoughts? They'd be greatly appreciated.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 9:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, I am selfish, so I would like you to stay. I mean, if you move, who will run around naked pounding on doors?

    But ultimately the decision is up to you. As you said, if there is this much drama and angst... should you really pick up and move? Your arguments all make a good case for staying in DC. But I bet if you'd written this post yesterday, you would have had good arguments for leaving DC too.

    I say give it until Monday. Hash it out, and see if you end up settling on one side of the line or the other-- you may need the weekend to waver over it.

    Drop by if you want to chat, vent, or drink. :) Good luck!

     
  • At 1:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OK, so change Philadelphia to Chicago and you're writing about my life! No worries, we'll figure it all out tomorrow over beer. It's amazing how much more clear the solutions to life's problems become when one drinks a lot of beer! Oh, we'll be running quite a tab tomorrow!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home