Hateful, Party of One

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Conference

So my national conference has been this week and it has given me lots of stories for me to recount. I had a great time and learned a lot, so this post will be some of the highlights.

An awkward moment: On Tuesday afternoon I ran into three people from the research position that I didn't get due to being overqualified. And I wasn't in a position that I could've pretended I didn't see them or knew who they were. So I had to endure a 15 minute conversation with people who didn't hire me like 2 weeks ago. What is the correct protocol in that situation? Probably to say something like "I'm sorry I'm in a rush and unable to chat, it was good seeing you." But David said more of what I felt: "Be cordial, then key their car."

A moment of TMI: THis guy who worked the conference with me got way too personal on a discussion of what he did the night before. I ran into him at a bar and asked how the rest of his night was. He proceeded to tell me that on his walk home, he was propositioned for sex by a guy on the street, which he then had it in an alley way with. Then the guy told him it would be $100. HE didn't have the money, so the prostitute was going to call the police and have him arrested. (editor's note: Ummmm Wouldn't they just arrest the prostitute. And what proof would they have that the sex even occurred? Sex workers logic is entertaining)

A moment of exercise: I ran my second 5k through the conference. It was humid and hot, even at 6 am! I overexerted myself and thought I was going to pass out at one point. However, I shaved 3 minutes off my time from the last 5k and came in at 32:14. YAY!

A moment of self-confidence: DP met these guys from my conference at JRs. I met this guy who worked with a lender in one of those fly over states that people never vacation to. I introduced myself to him two days later and invited him and his crew out dancing with a few of us at Cobalt. We had a good time. I hung out with him that night with his coworkers, then invited him over to my place. And he came... So its like the first time in two/three years I was successful in a bar-scene hookup. He was a really nice guy, sort of resembled waiter guy, but without the game playing.
I do plan to stay in touch with him.

But this leads to a serious work question: For those that don't know, I work in financial aid, which has been in the news for inducements from lenders to financial aid counselors. In this stage, schools are overreacting and my school has asked that we disclose every thing we've ever gotten from a lender, such as a birthday gift from a friend of mine who works in a bank. etc etc. So do i need to write general counsel and say that a lender gave me an orgasm?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, I would love to hear that call to the OGC. Rhiannon

     
  • At 7:26 PM , Blogger Twingonaut said...

    Only if you show favoritism by only referring his services to your students...hehe services.

    Good job on the hookup!

     
  • At 1:23 PM , Blogger Mel said...

    Dang. At the last conference I attended, I just ate bad food and sat in boring seminars.

     
  • At 10:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    you should totally tell, because i'm sure that everyone in your office would tell. especially if the lender was a married man... with kids... i'm just saying.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home