Hateful, Party of One

Thursday, April 12, 2007

RIP: Kurt Vonnegut

It seems that Kurt VOnnegut would have a lot to say on how I learned of his death. I got an email from Borders books with a current sale as a way to remember one of the greatest authors of the twentieth century. I am sure he would have railed at the meaningless consumerism of our lives and the quickest to point out and mourn him was not the ACLU or the liberal who he truly gave a backbone to, but to the capitalists who control our society who always want to make a quick buck.

But then, he would also have said something about the first person to mention it to me. As I was reeling from it, and I am a little shocked it has affected me in such a way, I looked for someone who would understand and would mourn with me as well. BUt when I checked my blog as I think it is important to write something right away to commemorate a great man and a great thinker and it was my oldest and dearest friend Rhiannon. And I think of the quote, and he had many, that may make the most sense when it comes to who we become friends with. Vonnegut said (in the Sirens of Titan): "The purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved."

It is this mantra that stayed with me through all of his books and in one summer's span, I did read all of his books. And I am better for his way of life that has pushed me to love whoever is there to be loved.

Thank you Kurt, for all you've had to say along the way. You will be missed. And I will say that I am a little worried without you to point out the obvious that the excrement will hit the fan.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 6:16 PM , Blogger Michael J. Kaplan said...

    touching post. I haven't read much of his stuff, or about his death, but I'm more than compelled to do both now. Quite a tribute.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home